I know bacon and eggs are delicious, but B and Little Miss just aren't into them. So I have been making pancakes a lot lately. I love sitting down to eat breakfast as a family together. It's great when no one is in a rush to get ready for school or work. We compare how each other tops then folds our own delicious masterpieces. Admittedly everyone likes something different on their pancake, but its no hassle to have the full selection of toppings spread across the table. B likes honey or Nutella, Little Miss is crazy for chocolate custard at the moment, their Dad likes strawberries bananas and maple syrup and I have to have one with lemon and sugar, but also one with bananas, strawberries, yoghurt and maple syrup, and I also tried Nutella and banana. They were all simply delicious!
I can't believe I used to buy ready made pancake mixes, but since my sister gave me this simple recipe I am completely converted to making my own pancakes and pikelets. You may already know this, but I didn't realise how easy pancakes are to make. B and Little Miss love helping out, mixing together all the ingredients and even flipping over pikelets and taking them out the pan.
My sister's basic pancake recipe
1 egg
1 cup plain flour
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
pinch of salt
Mix together well, so there are no lumps. Add more milk if mixture is too thick. Apparently my Mum used to let the mixture rest for an hour or so, but everyone is so hungry that is not an option in our house. I'm not sure what the resting achieved, maybe someone could tell me? Cook in batches in a hot frying pan greased with melted butter, flip over when lightly golden. For pikelets I use self raising flour instead of plain, add a bit more sugar and make them much smaller in size.
TIP: To enjoy pancakes and pikelets as a family it is absolutely necessary to cook all the batter before anyone is allowed to eat one. You don't want to get into the situation where you are still cooking pancakes while everyone else is gobbling theirs up. I keep my pancakes warm together in a stack well out of reach during the cooking process.
For more family friendly food ideas visit the smile monsters Friday fun party

4 comments:
Princess and I had pancakes this morning. I just use sr flour, milk and eggs, same quantity as yours. Have only just started making them from scratch and, like you, can't believe I never did before!
And I am a lemon and sugar girl too. Unless maple syrup is on offer .... :)
Why haven't I been offered pancakes when I come round to your place?
I would like to see some Food Face pancakes please! x
I too would like to know why they tell you to "rest" the pancake mixture. We often make our mix the night before so it's ready to go in the morning. Thanks for the recipe we lost our old Common Sense Cookery book one.
Post a Comment