Pages

26.5.11

Signs of the times

B is growing up so fast. Everyday he seems to be taller and that little bit wiser. Some mornings when Little Miss, B and I are all having a cuddle in the big warm bed together (an absolute favourite part of my day) we do the "foot check" to measure if their feet are as big as mine yet. B's are up to my toes already and he is only 7. I am a bit hesitant to imagine how big his feet will be when he is 16. I hope he will still do the foot check with me then, but I doubt the foot check would occur in the "family bed" as he calls it.

B's reading and writing skills are really improving. Excitingly reading is opening up new worlds for B. I can't tell you how happy I am to see him snuggle down into his own bed with a book. His favourite reads are all non fiction. B just cant get enough facts into his head about stuff, particularly space, transportation and machinery of any kind.



Writing is no longer a chore that I have to encourage B to do. He is writing unassisted for his own pleasure and for his own means. Admittedly he makes mistakes and his writing has interesting motives. But I am impressed. I am also continually surprised by this child. He really values his own space. He likes to have a bit of quiet time on his own, much to the disappointment of Little Miss who can't seem to get enough of him. I wonder if this is the beginning of them growing apart. The signs he makes certainly show a tendency to be left well alone.



B's bedroom door



























The wall outside his bedroom




























B is a stickler for rules and safety. He likes to make up any rules that go along with our loose household arrangements. Of course he can now express these rules with signs that I find attached to all manner of places.

No drinks in the lego room



























Dangerous things























































Keep away from the gas heater 







































Lots of literature about boys suggests that boys like to know the rules and have the rules be enforced. We try to respect this in the Chapter Forty house, however Little Miss is very good at reminding B if he is verging on the edge of one of his own rules. The Little Miss Police are not well received by B and conflict seems to be the natural state of our house at the moment. B likes to remind everyone,
"You are not the boss of me."
Then Little Miss says,"No Mummy is the boss."

4 comments:

Old Egg said...

I can see you thinking "If only that were true"

Great commentary on the household dynamics.

FoxyMoron said...

Love those signs, he is so funny (and smart!).

jen said...

My 7 year old daughter has those exact same signs on her door! "Do not enter"...very funny...I assume she'll outgrow it when she turns 20.

miruspeg said...

CF I hope B gets to read this post when he is 16. I am sure he laugh out loud when he sees how he used to express himself when he was 7.

His drawings and words are wonderful. Oh to peer into the future and see Mr B's achievements.

Much love
Peggy xxxxx

LinkWithin