Pages

15.5.11

I love it when...

...I'm out somewhere like waiting to see a doctor, or in line at the refunds counter of Target and one of the children says the dreaded word combination "I'm hungry" and I really love it when I'm equipped with the right food.

The two words "I'm hungry" almost send chills down my spine.

For one thing I can distinctly remember being hungry as a child, a lot. I am sure I was a well fed with 3 healthy meals presented every day, but all those in between times were never satisfied. And I remember that, very well. So when one of my spawn presents me with the hunger issue I love being able to conjure up a satisfying healthy snack out of my handbag.

There are not many foods that can manage to be stored in a handbag and also be a satisfying healthy snack. I remember my sister once finding a forgotten Kit Kat when we where at the beach and let me tell you that was the best Kit Kat ever eaten. But I would never give my children chocolate without them earning it in some way, like eating broccoli first or being really well behaved when its important to be. Fruit is a great snack and I never not let B and Little Miss eat it, but fruit is not really very transportable and you leave it in your hang bag at your own peril. Sultanas would be great if my kids ate them, sadly they don't, and they even reject all kinds of baked goods containing them, even those with thick pink icing on top, go figure.

Adding to the problem is the fact that Little Miss and B have very different tastes. Little Miss prefers plain bland food, whereas B is into full salt or sugar fixes.

So the other day while we were out and both children chanted those dreaded words,"I'm hungry" and I had a rice cake for Little Miss and a muesli bar for B I was thinking I had mothering nailed....

...for that moment anyway...

...until someone said they were thirsty.





2 comments:

Old Egg said...

I'll tell you what really annoys me. It is when you post a comment and know it has been published and along comes an internet dragon and eats up this and presumably hundreds of thousands of other comments. But what really annoys me as I comment quite a lot is to see that my comment has disappeared and I cannot remember what I said in the first place. So dear blogger daughter if you didn't catch the first one please accept this verbal garbage at a token of my enthusiasm for your CF blogs past, now and in the future. The word verification being haumnsma! Which is very much how I feel.

miruspeg said...

Blogger sure upset lots of folk with their maintenance cockup!

Anyway back to the post on hand, which I enjoyed reading as your writing style always flows beautifully. When Joseph and I are out and about we always carry our water bottles, fruit and jols and liquid hand gel to use before we eat.

The only other thing missing is a toilet! But if we are at the park a tree often comes in handy.

Peg xxxxxx

LinkWithin