And they have to. That is the way they learn. Unfortunatley I can't instill my own lessons or knowledge into them.
BUT I find watching my children make mistakes completely uncomfortable. I want to correct them and offer my answers to everything.
For example B has a fortnightly presentation to give at school. (It's what 'show and tell' has turned into.) This week his talk is about family. I find myself checking on him and his progress frequently. I offer suggestions and ideas to present his information in interesting ways. He makes a family tree and he writes down his spiel. When I see his writing I automatically correct his spelling errors. But then I pause. B has spelt celebration - sellbration. This is his work for his talk. He is going to be reading out these words in front of the class. B has to understand his own writing, my spelling correction will only confuse him. So I leave it alone.
I am still learning too, my answers aren't always right for B and Little Miss.
Through this life you go your own way, and make your own mistakes.
2 comments:
You have hit home on the perennial problem for parents. That is when to let go. "Be careful on the rocks" is fine but dare you alter the spelling of a word which he may not have learned yet? Never! What you fear is criticism of "your" child for trying. Jump on the teachers if that happens. Not literally, that is!
Parents should never let go, your children are yours for ever. Sadly it for them to make the break but if you have been a fine parent they will always make you feel precious.
Excellent post CF! Very insightful.
Joseph's mother is still learning this lesson especially with her 7 year son Charlie.
Being a surrogate grandmother to her two children I worry far less than she does.
Charlie sent me a card the other day and this is part of what he wrote:
"Fanc you for all of your presints and me and Joseph love you Peggy".
He then drew 3 stick figures.
I was on cloud nine for days.
Keep shining sweet friend.
Peggy xxxx
Post a Comment