Pages

8.6.10

Alphabet box
















I have been feeling really guilty lately that I just cant find the time to spend with Little Miss like I used to with B. I remember being able to do lots of preschool activities with him at home with letters and sounds, like making little books together with basic words. The kind of one on one play that lets you get really close and gain an understanding of your child's thinking. With Little Miss I just seem to have no time. The fact that she is going through phase of constantly whining or screaming might have something to do with it (and I do have a blog or two now). So the guilt remains and its time I made more of an effort.
















I found this fantastic Alphabet box idea from Pink and Green Mama and thought this would be a great start for us. We purchased the box with 25 drawers from K-mart for $20. (It came with a collection of screws so the husband was happy). B and the husband labeled the drawers sticking taping the upper and lower case letters on each drawer. The letters X and Y were combined on the one drawer.

We then got a big container and searched high and low for little bits and pieces that we could file away according to their letter. Little Miss and B absolutely loved this activity and even took it outside. They liked rediscovering their little trinkets that had gone by the wayside. We then filed them away in the drawers according to their letter. B was really good at this (as a 6 year old) and Little Miss was enthralled by it all.  She loves pulling out and looking in each drawer and wants to know where each drawer goes.

Here is the P drawer with a pom pom, peg, person, paperclip, pencil, pin and the colour purple.





















For the letter B we have a block, bugs, bottle top, button and a book.















In the letter S drawer you will find a star, stamp, sheep, stone, shell, spoon and some snakes.















Getting a drawer out and naming each item is a fantastic activity to reinforce letter sounds. Little Miss has recognised the letter L for her name (Ah no, her real name is not Little Miss) and she is getting lots of practice of the alphabet song. I am also really happy there is now a home for all those annoying little things that the small people collect.




Find out what other mums are playing at here.
We Play

10 comments:

StationerEleven said...

This is utterly brilliant. I am making one for my toddler ASAP!

amandab said...

What a great idea!

We have played alphabet treasure hunt, where Princess has had to find 3 things starting with "p", or 5 things starting with "b". I always giggle that she thinks "cake" starts with "K", and that "cute" starts with a "Q", but I do see her point!

Marita said...

That is a great idea. I'm definitely book marking this entry.

Old Egg said...

It is so good I feel like making one for my youngest! Hang on she has just made one herself for her Little B!

Well done.

Catherine said...

This is a brilliant idea. I am going to start on this asap. And what a great home for all those miscellaneous bits - yay!

joyce:waddleeahchaa.com said...

I love this and I am going to pass it on to all the preschool teachers I come in contact with.

Becky said...

This idea is brilliant. My girls would love this. I think I am going to make something like this.

miruspeg said...

Yes BRILLIANT is definitely the word for this post.
Now I know what I am going to make for Joseph for his 4th birthday.
Bless you dear one.
Hugs
Peggy xxx

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a fantastic idea, I love your little collections. But what on earth did you choose for x?

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Love it!!
Great job : )

xoxo
pink and green mama,
MaryLea

LinkWithin