Pages

24.3.11

Unwanted neighbours

Theres nothing quite so depressing as discovering something really dodgy about your new home. It's a big investment yes?

Unfortunately with the onset of some pretty serious rain we have discovered some unwanted neighbours. These guys don't consider themselves as just neighbours who might drop in, raise a local concern and then go about their business next door. Oh no. These guys come in uninvited, the smallest gap in a door or window will suffice as an invitation, and lets be clear, when I say guys, I do mean literally thousands of the buggers. Once inside, they are not polite guests, these guys like to really investigate every crevasse of your home. They think it's ok to climb up your bedroom wall, camp on the soft edges around your carpet, take a nap in your kitchen drawers and even wash with you, hiding in the folds of your shower curtain.

These new guests have even got the children worried, it's their sheer numbers, their midnight explorations  and lack of social graces. Since their arrival the children have required co-sleeping arrangements and therapy due to witnessing their mother flush black loads of the visitors down the toilet. This morning Little Miss stated, "I be brave with the millipedes Mummy."














Here's a great outdoor trap to get back at these invaders.

6 comments:

Old Egg said...

These little critters are in fact Portuguese millipedes and somehow invaded our shores probably from shipping a few years ago. Australia is a lovely place to live even millipedes think so. Why can't they go to Christmas Island for assessing their suitability as migrants? Sadly the bird population doesn't like them either.

The method of capture seems to be very effective. Let's hope you are lucky with your traps too.

FoxyMoron said...

I thought you were going to say cockroaches! I have never heard of an infestation of millipedes, how extraordinary, or is it a SA thing?

Hybrid J said...

OMG, just a look at the pix got my knees all buckled ... I hope both little man and little miss won't be too traumatized by these "unwanted guests".

Take care!

Seaside Siblings said...

Jezz, that photo even makes me feel a bit queezy and I am normally ok about creepy crawleys.

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. Holly got her first glasses this week and so far she is doing pretty well with them. Fingers crossed, it stays that way.

Catherine said...

I dont' think I'd be as brave as your kids if that was my house! We frequently get invasions in garden beds and they are very hard to get rid of when the weather is wet. Hope your place is getting better and thanks for great link.

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh! I hope you have great luck with the traps. I thought you were going to say cockroaches too. I lived in Florida for grad school and whenever it rained we'd get these humongous cockroaches in the house. One time I threw a shoe at one and I swear it bounced off of it! ICK!

LinkWithin