Pages

10.11.10

Panda meander

Ever since Lola (from Charlie and Lola fame) had informed Little Miss that Pandas were in danger she developed a thing for them. Well its more than a thing, its like she is a magnet to all Pandaness in our world.

"There's a Panda" she would cry, as we wait for a lift at a shopping centre. We would all look about searching for some kind of Panda looking animal somewhere, eventually finding a tiny plastic keyring Panda creature on someone else's bag. 

Admittedly we live in a city that has real Pandas so her cries are not totally crazy. No we are not in China, but our city Zoo has come to some complicated arrangement with China, so for the next ten years we have Wang Wang and Funi - real giant Panda's living with us. 

Now in the past I have not been a huge Zoo fan. The Zoo was a fairly sorry experience, with too many sad animals looking bored and cramped in old fashioned run down enclosures. Couple that with a boy, namely B who is not really into animals at all, or in the past walking more than 5 steps in a row, and you can gather that going to the Zoo with him was a memorable experience for all the wrong reasons.

But B has grown long legs, the Zoo has had squillions spend on it and Little Miss is persistently on about Pandas, so we thought there was never going to be a better time for a Panda expedition.

I gather the necessary equipment-
Husband
Children
Pram
Map



We check out the Panda's food while we wait in line



Little Miss doesn't enjoy the sound of the noisy monkey neighbours


But the noise and wait are worth it. This is Wang Wang, Funi was asleep.
















Wang Wang eats sitting up like a human,
















wanders around this way
















and that way




















then poses beautifully with my kids.


Time to move on, so B consults the map.
















We spy the noisy monkeys through the lush foliage

Discover fluffy babies balancing

















and underwater wonders.



















See tall animals and short ones trying to be tall.

Time to check out the map again




















We find animals to touch


and feed




















and talk to.
 



















Then make some Panda purchases and call it a very successful day.



Explore the world of child's play at childhood 101
We Play










Adelaide Zoo is open 9.30-5pm everyday including Christmas and is located on Frome Road in the city.

7 comments:

Old Egg said...

Clearly the pandas liked you more than us! When we went they preferred to face away from the onlookers perhaps they realise now we are paying customers and should face their benefactors.

I certainly enjoyed your tour.

Fribbs said...

I thought for a moment you might be about to mention that B has developed his Dad's "Myer legs". Oh the good old days! We have also had shocking Zoo experiences but your post has made me rethink a visit! Fribbs x

Hybrid J said...

Thanks for taking us with you and your family to a guided virtual tour to the zoo. It reminds me that I haven't been to one for decades and how I always say to myself must do it one day.

O.k. again, I'm saying this to myself: Must visit the zoo one day.

P.S. Love the cute panda toys ... ;)

Kerina said...

Ol and I went to the zoo a fortnight ago–I couldn't believe how much it had changed. I thought I knew where everyone lived, but no, many have these swanky new digs! Found it a little disorienting and had to keep consulting the brochure map (which had also benefited from a makeover). We enjoyed watching the monkeys giving the tapirs a hard time!

miruspeg said...

Well that was a inexpensive trip to the zoo!
Lovely storytelling CF, not too much dialogue and plenty of interesting photos.
I'll give you an A!
Hugs
Peggy xxxxx

amandab said...

Princess loves the zoo, and after looking at your photos she wants to go to your zoo. She said to tell you she "Really liked it so much!" :D

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Ooh, I've never seen a real panda, that would have been fascinating. I too was not a fan of zoos in days gone by but think that most modern zoos are very, very different in terms of the environment and care of the animals, and the fact that so many are involved in successful breeding programs to try and save endangered species from extinction.

LinkWithin