Pages

8.9.10

Coloured Rice

Changing plain old rice into bright exciting colours sounded like a lot of simple fun.

I used zip lock plastic bags, regular white rice, food colouring and hand sanitiser.

We just put the dry uncooked rice into the zip lock bag added a few drops of food colouring and a squirt of hand sanitiser. Then we zipped up the bag and  the children did the shimmy shake. (Make sure those zips are well and truly done up.)

Before their eyes the rice changes colour.


I only had a small range of food colouring, yellow, green and red. After we did a bag a of each B was keen to see the colours mixed. We did a bag with green and yellow and got a nice lime green, and we achieved a pretty orange with red and yellow. B really wanted to find out what colour would be made with all the colours mixed together, so we got a beautiful rainbow, um sorry, I mean brown too.




















We had to let the rice dry before playing with it.

I thought glue (PVA) painting then rice sticking might be a natural progression.
Little Miss was happy with that. Note that I tried to contain the rice inside a tray. It kind of worked.















But B had other ideas. He wanted containers to put the rice in, then added other things to it, like big stones and small rocks. He put lids on the containers then he decorated them saying that they were from different places. I think this originated from school. In class they released a helium balloon, called Charlie into the sky and now it is travelling around Australia. The kids have received messages from Charlie. He is really getting about enjoying Sydney and Uluru.















I can't remember where I saw this colouring rice activity (if it was you, thanks and let me know) Making coloured rice was really easy fun and a little magical. There are heaps of other great activities for kids (and their parents) at childhood 101.
We Play

6 comments:

amandab said...

I am making this tomorrow when I remember to pick up some more food colouring (I only have the natural stuff at the moment, which is even more limited in colour - orange, pink, purple and green). We are making "eye spy" bottles with it - little trinkets hiding in the rice that you have to shake up and find amonst the rice. It's for my daughter's party, much better take home gift than lollies I thought. So nice to see what I am going to do works :)

Old Egg said...

You certainly had great fun with the rice. I really needed to turn my computer screen up-side-down to see B's drawings on the containers, which were of course Ayer's Rock, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Adelaide. I didn't of course I stood on my head!

amandab said...

We made our rice today, and aside from Princess being overzealous with the red colouring when we made purple (hope I have enough for the rainbow cupcakes tomorrow!) and a few bags that came undone it worked woiderfully. :)

Marita said...

That is a fun idea. My girls would really enjoy it.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I love B's boxes of 'artefacts,' great that he is absorbing and translating so much from school.

Jennifer said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! It looks like you all had a great time. I've wanted to try this but somehow never seem to get around to it. You've inspired me to make an effort.

LinkWithin