Pages

9.7.10

School report

Desalination Plant designed by B.


















How time flies, B's school report was handed out recently. And I was completely taken aback. On reading it in the playground I exclaimed rather loudly,
"Oh, I am really shocked."
A fellow parent knowing my belief that creativity is paramount low expectations said,
"See B does need to learn to read."
"Huh" was all I could manage in reply as I stared at As, Bs, and Cs judging my child's performance in school.
As, Bs, and Cs, he is 6 for goodness sake. Whatever happened to the competent or developing scales he faired last year?

Suddenly I was torn. I wanted B to have a fantastic report full of As, yet deep inside I know it really doesn't matter. I was getting sucked into the school report vacuum that encourages conformity.

I love the school he goes to, we chose it because it is a Reggio Emilia school. We wanted a creative approach because of our own school experiences and we have been influenced by the work of Sir Ken Robinson. (For the sake of your kids please check him out)

B's teacher this year has an amazing approach, it is so organic and child lead. She sets up provocations that are designed to make the children ask questions. (It might be a hollow log in the middle of the room with a sign that says "What is this?") Every morning the provocation has developed in some way to encourage a line of discussion. The discussions cover topics like maths, science, society and design with her non judgmental facilitation. (The hollow log turned into a home with a spider moving in) B does a lot of painting, which we think it is brilliant, but sadly the teacher has received criticism from other parents.

B is really happy at his school, he loves the provocations and rushes into the class room to see what has developed. His drawings are getting more and more detailed and contain intricate workings. Check his blog out. His Dad and I simply can't believe the drawings he is doing. They are brilliant.

Container ship by B

















I am so proud of B, he received glowing comments from the teacher and a great collection of As, Bs and Cs. But most of all I am really proud that B hasn't paid any attention to his school report at all. It really is no big deal at all...

Truly.

6 comments:

miruspeg said...

Sir Ken Robinson totally inspires me CF. I only heard about him 6 months ago and was totally blown away by his concepts and of course his humour.

You know how much I love B's drawings and what a remarkable, talented kid he is.
I feel what you should be particularly proud about is your parenting, you both deserve and A+!!!
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx

FoxyMoron said...

Goodness that child is talented!

And how you described his classroom and teacher's approach is how school SHOULD be.

Old Egg said...

Reports are parents nightmare. This is especially the case when grading is applied. I prefer straight comment on attitude, creativity, understanding and of course interactions with others. Later the dreaded grades can be applied to measure their understanding of a subject.

I wonder if as parents we are scared that as childhood is so short there may be something that needs our intervention to "improve" things. Only in the rarest cases should this be necessary. Pressure is the worst thing to apply.

Relax these are the easy times for you!

Marita said...

My oldest daughter had a brilliant teacher in 3yo kinder who followed the Reggio Emilia approach. She also taught my youngest daughter for half a year before the other parents succeeded in getting her resignation. I was so sad.

Your sons teacher sounds like the best kind of teacher a child could have.

amandab said...

Love the drawings and sounds like your son has a wonderful teacher :)

I've passed on an award to you, to thank you for some wonderful reading :)

http://homeage.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/versatile-bloggers-award/

Jen said...

Your son's drawings are incredibly detailed...so amazing.

I'm so disturbed by the comment that the other parent made. My graduate degrees are in psychology, education and special education and I remember learning that some children, especially boys, learn to read around 7 years old because of the natural development of certain areas of the brain.

Your children are so lucky to have a mom, who values creativity above conformity.

I've never heard of Sir Ken Robinson. I'm definitely going to check out your link, Thanks!

LinkWithin