Pages

25.5.10

To bunk or not to bunk

We are in a dilema, do we put B and Little Miss together in the same room to sleep and maybe get them Bunk beds? Or not...

Pros
  • If they are in the same room, we can have another living room, benefiting everyone
  • They can be together and 'be there' for each other 
  • Little Miss's move to a big girl bed will less of a big deal, she'll be just like B.
  • B really wants bunks, it would make him really happy.

Cons
  • They muck around at sleep time
  • They wake each other up (then us) earlier than normal in the morning
  • Eventually they will need separate rooms thus creating more work rearranging stuff and furniture later on
  • We just got given a car bed for B from our neighbour, (hear me sigh heavily) car theming and fairy pink princess land kind of clash decor style wise. 
  • Together they have too much stuff for one room, it would overflow and be cramped
  • Bunks are dangerous, kids muck around on them and break limbs
  • Buying bunks is an added expense
OK I cant think of any other pros or cons. There are more cons anyway, I think I know they shouldn't be together as we have tried a few nights with Little Miss in B's room and she is disturbing his sleep. I also know that B will just have to try and jump off the top bunk as that's what boys do and it will only be a matter of time before Little Miss copies him. 

But I still had a look for some nice bunk beds just in case...



Duet bunk bed from Nursery works
















Cool minimalist cantilevered beds by Phillipe Allaeys





















The Taylor Bunk by Modular furniture Australia

















Room and Board's Moda Bunk














Or what about a funky loft bed? Love the built in storage.



















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like you to contempltae the bunk bed worst case scenario.
Worse than broken limbs.

"mummy I've exploded"

I'm talking gastro attack late at night on the top bunk and you having to change sheets while potentially kneeling in it.

FoxyMoron said...

We only ever had bunks for ours when we lived in a really tiny house when our older daughter was still at home and my kids were older than yours are now so the danger wasn't as worrying but they were horrible to make, almost impossible actually.

Old Egg said...

Don't be fooled by the great designs available. Like cigarettes Bunk Ads should have pictures of little children falling through the air; mothers hitting their heads and breaking their nails and then there is the foul double change when one child really messes up both beds! The best use I saw for a bunk bed was when it was waiting on the curb soliciting for a pick up.

Fribbs said...

Love those designs and very appealing but I'm personally not tempted to let my older boy get one wink less sleep than he needs! I am also haunted by a childhood friend breaking a leg from flying off the top bunk! Seperate and conquer I say! x

Andi said...

My twins have been in bunks FOREVER - no kids flying through the air, no broken limbs, no worries about them peeing onto the one below either. The puking thing, well top bunk boy did lean over one time but after that he managed to get out and into bathroom in time. I would suggest though if you get bunks, that you get ones that can be split into two single beds as that will save you the expense when you put them back into their own rooms.

LinkWithin