3.3.10
Dear Future Self
Dear Future Self,
This letter is to remind you that your children love you. In fact it feels right now that they can’t get enough of you. But just in case they are the kind of horrible teenagers who only grunt and groan at you and can’t stand to be seen on the same street as you, remember that right now they adore you.
As a 6 year old, B wants you to play with him, sing to him, read him stories and do up his buttons. And Little Miss at two and a half simply can’t get enough of you, she comes up to you and says at least every day if not every couple of hours, “I want you.” As she cuddles you she pats you gently on the back. Your kisses heal every little hurt she has. She loves you to do her hair, complete puzzles and dress up the dollies with her. And both of them absolutely love their backs to be gently scratched.
Remember most importantly how lovely it is to walk along the street with your little children holding each one’s hand. How proud you feel, it’s a wonderful feeling. “Look at us,” you think, “a little family devoted to each other.” I don’t know what your teenagers are like, but I am guessing they don’t want to hold your hands anymore.
But don’t get too sentimental I am sure you are enjoying some of your own space and time, perhaps you don’t have to remind them to go to the toilet anymore, wash them, choose their clothes and don’t have to tell them which room of the house you are in. You can probably go out at night with their Dad without having to organise a babysitter. Organise a haircut anytime you want, go out to dinner without having to take bags of entertaining play dough, textas, toy cars, teddies and drawing paper. In fact you are gaining back most of your own life aren’t you?
I hope your teenagers talk to you. Make sure you are making time for them and giving them plenty of opportunity to tell you things, without you butting in with a lecture. Please remember to really listen to them. Encourage their independence with your trust. Take pride in your young adults as they gain their independence. Remember that inside those alien teenage people in your house are those loving little children. Your children who right now in 2010 can have their every need met by you.
With love from your present self
xxx
PS I hope there has been a major breakthrough with wrinkle creams so you’re not looking too old.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is both hauntingly beautiful and pricelessly funny! I must write myself one of those so I can remember it.. My nearly 11 year old still wants to be kissed goodnight, in her bed. I think it is so cute I keep hanging onto it and don't tell her that others probably don't do it anymore. Slapping on the wrinkle cream as we speak.
You have written so much and so well about your family and yourself and probably 100% needs to be preserved not only for your future self to read but also your beautiful children. How can you preserve this? Will Blogspot still be around then? Perhaps the best thing would be to self publish all of your posts and have copies ready for B and Little Miss when the time comes to say "Well here it is, see how you get on with your life, this is what happened in mine."
CF I am so happy I am your blog friend as you write very inspiring posts. This one is a fine example of the wise soul you are.
In 2007 the National Trust of Australia were selling time capsules which will be opened in 2032. I purchased 4 slots and wrote my messages. I kept a copy and just read them again now. Haven't thought about this for quite some time.....thanks for jogging my memory.
Take care and hugs
Peggy xxxx
Post a Comment