Pages

20.1.12

Get out of here

My sister gave me some really valuable advice around the time B was born. She told me that when its getting tough at home, its really good to get out.

I remember with B as a baby taking him for walks in the pram. I would do small bits of grocery shopping everyday. He would often fall asleep with the rhythm of the pavement. People would start to nod in recognition. The pram and I a familiar sight.  I started getting friendly with the supermarket checkout operators. I'd be a regular at cafe, they'd know my coffee preference. It felt good to be part of the community. A known local. But everything changes and nothing stays the same. B grew out of the pram and didn't like talking long walks as a toddler and then we moved house.

But the point is that a change of environment is good for the mood. The fresh air, a different view, newness opens your mind and eyes.

So the other day out we went. I didn't have a plan of where or what we would do, but I needed to get out. We found ourselves in the city's east end with more than a couple of hours to use up.

We walked and discovered some crazy crocheted bicycles. Ready to surprise the Tour Down Under fans.



These bikes are amazing. The time effort and work with detailed crocheting was inspiring for a novice.


B and Little Miss picked at the streets lined with money

Then we found ourselves at the Adelaide botanic gardens. And wondered what and who is a radio?

 We explored

Marvelled at nature's colours,


textures,


and beauty.




Played leaf racing,


and stopped for refreshments.


We learnt about the moon lilly that shyly only flowers at night when the gardens are closed.
So we could only imagine what she looks like open.


Then we visited Daddy's work and played with the office toy box. A very cool play space for both young and old. Plus there seemed to be a never ending supply of biscuits and mints.

It really is good to get out and explore, even in your own backyard.

5 comments:

miruspeg said...

What a delightful warm and fuzzy post!
Your photos and storytelling make me wish I was there sharing your day.
The crocheted bikes are fabulous, some people are soooo talented and have a great imagination.
Thank you for sharing your fun day with your cyberspace friends.
Much love and big hugs
Peggy xxxxx

FoxyMoron said...

You just want to snuggle up to those bikes.
Lovely post and great photos as always CF.

Old Egg said...

Fabulous pictures. It is amazing to realize the wonders you captured are not seen by many that pass them by. We are enriched by our observation of them while they remain poor. Some of the coins embedded in the pavements there are in fact Australian dollar coins that are worth more than a US dollar now!

fsmum said...

Enjoyed your post. Like you, when my little boy was small, we were always out and about with the pushchair. I loved sitting in the cafe, chatting to other mums, while he slept. Not a hope of that now! Always on the lookout for things to do and places to go. Loved your photos.

Jen said...

Oh I love this so much!!! This day looked like so much fun and the pictures are beautiful. I'm trying to enjoy the snow here in Maine but what a treat to see these beautiful flowers.

I agree that getting out and exploring helps so much. We all seem happier when we get out. I am really looking forward to spring, when it will be easier to get out with the baby.

LinkWithin