Pages

3.8.11

Biscuit maths

As much as I hate to admit it, I am one of those people who takes a look at the heavily discounted items in the supermarket. You know the shelves in the back corner that have the dented cans, returned items, yesterday's bread or discontinued stock. I have rarely bought anything, but the bargain hunter in me has to have a look, just in case. Well the other day, while I was there just checking, I came across some very interesting biscuits.

These biscuits were not broken into crumbs, or past their use by date so I put them in the trolley. Best of all these treats were chocolate flavoured, reduced to $2 and were in the shape of numbers.

Yeah I thought.
Isn't amazing how the simple things in life can make you so happy.

So one day after school I broke open the pack and got B and Little Miss munching their minds on these mathematical flavoured treats.

When I opened the pack I was overjoyed to see little plus, minus  and equal symbols as well as all the numbers including zero in the pack. I decided to set up some sums with the answer hidden under a cup. The kids would be allowed to eat the biscuits if they got the sums right.

For Little Miss I made the sums easy and offered her some numbers to recognise.




























For B I made the sums appropriate to his age.

B worked hard for his treats.


And really enjoyed them, all at once.


I also had some fun with these biscuits, offering up age related treats to my Dad and husband. But it would seem that men can be difficult to amuse and a little bit age sensitive.

5 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

What great bikkies, I've never seen them, and I love what you did with them. LOL@ your dad and hubby. I can just imagine. ;)

Old Egg said...

I didn't realise that the biscuits were so sort of test or that so many biscuits were needed to get my age. Ah well...they were a lot of fun though.

miruspeg said...

CF you discover amazing things! What a great game for kids. I will try and find some for Joseph and Charlie.
Were you a teacher before you had kids? You are definitely one now my friend!
Peggy xxxxx
PS Love the photos!

Liz said...

Yum Yum coookieee. (As cookie monster would say. Numbers suddenly become fun. Wish these bikkies were around when I was a kid. Great combining food and learning.
Here is the blog that we spoke about. Lots of buttons here.

http://belladia.typepad.com/crafty_crow/

Ange said...

You are a crack up! I also have it from a reliable source (who provided photos of a pirate boat cake) that you are also an imaginative and fabulous cook. I can only imagine that you will be playing bikkie maths for days to come :)

LinkWithin