Pages

7.6.11

Spray painted memories































We did spray painting what seems to be a lifetime ago, but for some reason I never got around to posting it. It was actually about seven months ago, but since then we have moved house, said goodbye to my Mum, had Christmas, started at a new school and established ourselves in a new area. So life's been a bit stressful really, it's no wonder I forgot about the spray painting afternoon. In fact that afternoon was before we even knew that my Mum was facing her last days with us.

Looking back to that afternoon is like looking back to another life. A different time, when we lived in the old house and I could ring my Mum up on a whim. That was when I didn't have a gapping empty hole inside me to carry around. I am slowly getting used to the hole, and somedays I have moments where I forget about it completely. Which is good. But the hole is all about my love for my Mum so it is strangely reassuring and sort of special that it is there.

I am surprised the spray painting activity has bought back sentimental memories of another time. The spray painting was intended to have a Christmas theme to use the paper as gift wrap, however with all that faced us it never got used. I've got it stored somewhere and maybe we will use it this Christmas.






































B and Little Miss were given some card to draw something Christmassy. B drew a tree and Little Miss an angel. I drew a star and tree too, then cut out the drawings with a craft knife to make stencils.  We placed long sheets of butchers paper outside on the deck and secured it so it wouldn't blow around. Then we made up the spray paint using water and a little food colouring. The spray bottles were .99c each from Ikea.

We all loved using the spray bottles, they were easy to manipulate, and gave us instant satisfaction. The watery mix bled under the stencils unless it was sprayed only lightly. B and Little Miss preferred a really wet approach and we had to be careful about the paper ripping. But simply spraying the paper was fun alone. And notice the bear legs and arms? That was incase anyone got ideas about spraying people instead of paper.








































The food colouring gave us some interesting effects as it dried. However the yellow was the least intensive colour and should have been less diluted.







































As we were outside, leaves were collected and used as stencils too.



































































Spray painting was most enjoyable, a hit with my children and produced beautiful gift paper, but most importantly a nostalgia for an easier time.
For more ideas to create big artwork and happy memories visit Its Playtime


2 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

What a lovely thing to do. I wish I'd known you when my kids were little, you have so many great ideas for activities.
Must be hard to be missing your Mum.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely activity! thanks for linking it up to It's Playtime.
I also lost my mum last year and i know exactly what you mean about the empty hole that you carry around with you. I find myself desperate to call her and tell her that my baby started walking or my two year old said the funniest thing, and I know just how sad you are feeling. Love x

LinkWithin