Pages

22.1.11

Neighbours

Over the years I have found that you have to tread carefully with neighbours. I think it's best to have a kind of distant respect for eachother and leave it at that. Being too chummy and then becoming close friends can be somewhat over the top and invasive to your privacy and at the other end of the scale becoming nasty life long enemies through the wall can be miserable, not to mention scary for everyone. In the last 20 years or so we have had our fair range of neighbourly relations.

In one house that was an old maisonette with a common middle wall, we had a pair of girls living next door who we dubbed 'The elephants". They weren't large in size at all, but they seemed to trample up and down their hallway that adjoined ours with an excessive amount of thudding. We never figured out what they were doing. (I suspected it was elephant exercising) And we never found out their real names. That particular home was our first together and we had a retired couple on the other side with the surname Bunney. Unlike the Elephants the Bunneys were ideal neighbours, casually friendly and very generous. We were struggling uni students at this time and the Bunneys took it upon themselves to occasionally give us some little luxuries that we greatly appreciated. Mr Bunney was very generous with his wine collection and Mrs Bunney often gave us tickets to movie premiers or invites to gallery openings where we could drink more free wine.

The worst neighbor we ever had was at our previous home. Now that I am rid of him I realise how great it is to live without him. When that house sold onto an owner occupier I was quietly pleased, but I shouldn't have been. In walked this young animal man and with him, late night noisy parties during the week, huge rubbish issues and very annoying parking hassles.

It is with great pleasure that I have found our new neighbours to be both friendly, welcoming, generous and very very beautiful.




















































What words would you use to describe your neighbours?

4 comments:

Old Egg said...

It is said you don't realise how good or bad neighbours can be until you move. The neighbours you have photographed seem a bit pushy to me, possibly noisy and destructive too?

FoxyMoron said...

Oh get me started on neighbours CF. We had some in Sydney who claimed our cats were swimming in their pool and going through their rubbish bin (wheelie bin with lid).Ah I could write a book.
Yours look pretty nice though.

Hybrid J said...

Absolutely agreed with your post.

I always dread to move to new place(s) where I might have the neighbour from hell. My current one is a lovely single parent family. Mum is always on the go but if I need help, she always answers. I feel blessed to have her and her two young sons living next door!

And I'm very grateful to your comments to my latest painting post. :) I enjoy your honesty and don't want you to ever feel like you can't say what you mean.

Just like you, I'd rather have some straight forward constructive criticism than "surface talk", if you know what I mean.

THANK YOU! And I consider myself very lucky to have such loving fellow bloggers (like you) for support.

Cheers and have a wonderful day!

Jennifer said...

I love this post! I've had a lot of neighbor experiences both good and bad. Our current neighbors are lovely and like you said there's a respectful distance but still friendliness. I'm sad they are selling their home and I keep wondering who we will "inherit".
Love your new neighbors!

LinkWithin